The Rainbow Trail

I spent about an hour last evening on the Rainbow Trail behind Rainbow
Gardens at the mouth of Ogden Canyon in Weber County.  My errand was to
watch and listen for Yellow-breasted Chats and I'm pleased to report I
heard at least one.  I never saw him or her.  The bird was calling at
least 100 feet north of the trail through thick willow scrub that
threatened to tear at my skin and poke me in the eyes as I worked my way
through it.  However, another reward waited on the other side of the
thickest willow--an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.  The flycatcher was
prominently teed up on dead aspen branches with its back to me.  That
was good, because the two white patches on the back were quite visible
in the gray evening light.  Later, the bird turned toward me and the big
peaked head, dark vest, and white undershirt were nicely visible.  This
scrubby spot is not at all breeding Olive-sided Flycatcher habitat, but
what the heck, migration is on and all bets are off.

The chat(s) quieted as I approached through the scrub and I have to
believe they're not yet ready for hard-core courtship songs and display
flights.  This is in contrast to their behavior last year.  Brian Currie
discovered the chats at this location in late June and showed them--no,
called them out for me.  The experience was incredible.  Brian has the
amazing ability to talk chit with the chats--you know, chit-chat.  He
made a squeezy, curly, rubber-ducky little noise that was surely taught
to him by his elocution tutor, Donald Duck.  Two chats popped up out of
the scrub, both with beaks full of mashed bugs, and one of the chats
repeated Brian's rubber-ducky noise exactly.  EXACTLY.  I've tried to
duplicate this sound many times.  Unfortunately, my attempt at talking
chit ends up sounding more like an indelicate physiological sound and
I've given up the pursuit as inappropriate for a lady.

In addition to the flycatcher and the chats, between last night and
another visit last Monday I also saw or heard:  California Quail, an
Accipiter I couldn't identify, Black-chinned and Broad-tailed
Hummingbirds, Downy Woodpeckers, Warbling Vireos, Black-billed Magpies,
Bank Swallows, Black-capped Chickadees,  House Wrens, Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers, American Robins, Yellow Warblers, a Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Virginia's Warblers, a MacGillivray's Warbler, Western Tanagers, Spotted
Towhees, Song Sparrows, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Lazuli Buntings,
Red-winged Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, House Finches, Pine
Siskins, and American Goldfinches.

The Rainbow Trail is about a mile long and serves as a connector from
the parking lot to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.  It's a favorite of
mountain bikers and passes through a couple different vegetation
zones--riparian scrub, scrub oak--foothill shrub/steppe--before reaching
the ancient shoreline.  At the junction you'll see a trail marker with
arrows pointing south toward the 22nd Street trailhead in Ogden or north
to the canyon.

To reach the Rainbow Trail, take I-15 to exit 347 and turn east.  Drive
ALMOST to the mouth of Ogden Canyon and turn right at the last possible
turn at the well-marked Rainbow Gardens gift shop.  Turn left into the
parking lot.  You'll see the trailhead at the southwest corner of the
parking lot.