Re: Birding Bear River 5/18 / Western Gull(S)?

Richard,

I'm just getting caught up on old email and I noticed this
report of Western Gulls at Bear River.  Did you mean
California Gulls?  They are larger and darker mantled than
Ring-billed Gulls.  Also Utah has no record (that I can
find) for Western Gull and they are extremely rare away from
the coast even in California.

WHIMBREL...."<<<<<

Regarding your Whimbrel they would have a very obvious
median crown stripe, not a solid cap.  When you refer to the
bill size was that in direct comparison to LB Curlews or was
the bird alone?  Did you see two sizes and bill lengths on
the Curlews?  Males are noticeably smaller and shorter
billed than females.

Short-billed Dowitchers?  Were they with Long-billeds or
alone?  Did they call?  I'm curious how you ID'd them?

Hope this is helpful.

Cliff