A solution to nest destruction at Utah Valley State campus

Dear Utah Birders,

I want to thank you for your response to my earlier request.  It
appears that we are approaching success.  During a meeting with Jim
Michaelis and Sam Rushforth this morning an agreement was made to leave
nests alone which are in locations outside of public traffic and are
therefore not a public health hazzard.  In those places where birds
cannot be allowed to nest (main entrance ways, etc.) physical facilities
personnel will be required to use various means to prevent nest
construction such as barriers or sound emitting equipment.  We are now
searching for the best tried and tested methods for this purpose.  If
any of you have any tried and tested suggestions please contact me with
that information ASAP.  We want to get the remedy in place as soon.

I want to iterate that I have come to believe that Jim Michaelis is on
our side in this endeavor and we feel that we will be successful in
providing a healthy environment for campus citizens and our birds.  As I
mentioned in my earlier post, Utah Valley State is in the planning
stages of the construction (by next Spring) of a gazebo-like nesting
structure for our Cliff and Barn Swallow friends.  This mostly cement
structure will cost ca. $60,000.  Via the School of Sciences and Health
and Facilities we have come up with all but $10,000 of the cost.  If any
of you are interested in donating to this project please contact Dr. Sam
Rushforth, Dean of School of Sciences and Health at (801) 863-8980
(Assistant to the Dean) with your pledge.  A plaque with a list of
contributors will be posted at the nesting structure.

Again thank you for your assistance.

Most sincerely,

Wayne H. Whaley

Dr. Wayne H. Whaley