From: owner-birdtalk@utahbirds.org [mailto:owner-birdtalk@utahbirds.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Stackhouse
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:19 AM
To: Richard Wood; birdtalk
Subject: Re: Re: Empid question

Richard,

I've read your posts regarding your empid, and would suggest a bit of
caution. Even the most experienced birders can rarely be 100% certain about
the i.d. of a non-calling empid off of the breeding grounds.

Here are my thoughts after reading your messages:

First, the habitat the bird is in means nothing this time of year - during
migration all empids can be in any habitat. Today I saw both Gray and
Hammond's Flycatchers at the Garr Ranch on Antelope Island, in habitat that
would not be considered "correct" for either one. Nor would either of these
birds be found in the same habitat during the breeding season - they are at
opposite ends of the spectrum. Gray is normally in very dry, sagebrush and
pinyon-juniper habitats, and Hammond's in high altitude coniferous forests.

Second, Willow Flycatchers are very late arrivals - among the last of the
empids to reach Utah. They are normally only now arriving in extreme
southern Utah (sometimes they don't reach St. George until the 15th of May
or later). They usually don't show up in northern Utah until the end of May.

Third, the bird you describe sounds more like a Gray Flycatcher to me.
The long-tailed, long-billed look is better for Gray than Willow, which has
tail and bill that look more proportional. The fact that you saw an eye ring
at all is better for something other than Willow, which often has almost no
eye ring at this time of year. The yellow lower mandible is not diagnostic
for Willow, as Gray and Cordilleran both have lower mandibles that are
almost entirely yellow  as well. Even some Dusky Flycatchers can have mostly
yellow lower mandibles. A better character to notice is the width of the
bill - both Willow and Cordilleran have wide bills, while the others have
narrow bills.

 From what I've seen over the past few days, there seem to be quite a few
Gray Flycatchers migrating through northern Utah right now. If you'd like, I
can send you a picture of one I saw Tuesday on Antelope Island.

In spite of the flooding, in must be exciting to be having so many great
yard birds!

Mark Stackhouse
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)