Nest destruction on Utah Valley State campus

Dear Utah Birders,

I am a biologist (vert. zool., ornithology specialty) at Utah Valley
State in Orem, UT.  I am sending this email to solicit your assistance
in stopping the destruction of bird nests on the Utah Valley State
campus.  Each Spring an individual (usually a student) is hired to scour
campus buildings and remove nests with a scraper.  Apparently he makes
his rounds every day.  I noticed the nest destruction was happening
about 2  years ago, but how long this has been going on at Utah Valley
State is not known to me (I am usually in the field during Spring/Summer
terms).  Last year, after making a fuss and informing the campus
community of the nest destruction practices, meetings were scheduled
with admin and solutions were discussed and agreed upon.  One solution,
a gazebo-like swallow nesting structure is scheduled to be constructed
in time for the Spring of 2006 swallow (Cliff and Barn) arrivals on
campus.  Another solution, special bird exclusion netting, was supposed
to be purchased and in place by now at locations where birds for health
reasons cannot nest.  This would entirely eliminate the need to hire
someone to destroy nests.  The second solution is not being applied, but
instead the same old method of nest destruction continues this season.
This morning just outside my office I caught two individuals in the act
of destroying an American Robin's nest containing 3 eggs (see attached
photo).  One individual said they were instructed to destroy all sparrow
and robin nests.  Neither of the two could identify the birds in the
vicinity at the time, let alone the nests of these birds, and of course
the only non-protected birds nesting on campus are House Sparrows and
European Starlings.  Hiring individuals who are completely oblivious to
what one bird is or is not is nonsense in itself.  I cannot put up with
this wanton nest destruction any longer and therefore I request that you
send an email to James Michaelis Supervisor of Facilities Planning and
let be known your dissatisfaction or disgust with the nest destruction
activities going on on the Utah Valley State campus and that it must
stop immediately.  I have contemplated contacting the US Fish & Wildlife
Service about the Robin's nest destroyed this morning, but rather than
cause a major "stink" now, I have decided to ask your assistance,
via emails to Michaelis, to see if all nest destruction practices can be
once and for all stopped.  Be assured that your input will play a major
part in putting a stop to this activity.  Our Dean, Dr. Rushforth, and I
are scheduled to meet with Michaelis this Monday concerning my
observations with the Robin's this morning and the nest destruction in
general.  Before then, please let Michaelis know of your disgust over
the nest destruction activities and that you want the practice stopped.

Most sincerely,

Wayne H. Whaley

Dr. Wayne H. Whaley
Professor