Great Egret, Marbled Godwit, Long-billed Curlew, Osprey at Benson Marina

I led a field trip to Benson Marina (Cache Co.) for Michael Sowder's nature writers class at USU, this past Saturday and we saw some great birds.

We were first planning to canoe Cutler Marsh, but the USU ORC never showed up with the canoes as we had scheduled with them, so we walked the trail that circles Benson Marina.

Birds saw included: Marsh Wren, Song Sparrow, Canada Goose, Black-crowned Night Heron, Western Grebe, Clark's Grebe, Cinnamon Teal, American White Pelican, Barn Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Northern Harrier, Killdeer, American Avocet, Willet and others.

The most exciting sightings (for me at least), was a single Osprey sitting on a nesting platform, just south of the marina, 3 Long-billed Curlews in the fields just southwest of the trail, a solitary Great Egret and one Marbled Godwit flying overhead. We got great looks at these birds. The Osprey flew from the platform, directly towards us, scanning the marina for a meal. The Great Egret and Marbled Godwit were traveling north to south, directly above us.

A great time was had by all and I believe I may have converted a few of the people in the group to go birding again.

Stephen Peterson

_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________