Black-bellied Plovers on causeway

I made it to Antelope Island causeway through the pouring rain at about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. The rain continued, but not as hard out there. All sightings were binos only--too rainy to set up the scope. The lighting was actually quite good part of the time. My efforts were rewarded by hoards of shorebirds--the reason for the journey. The most exciting for me were all (at least 25) the Black-bellied Plovers scurrying around the more numerous Willits, and fewer Marbled Godwits. Couldn't find the peeps that Ed Leite was lucky enough to see. All the shorebird activity was on the southside and began in earnest before mile marker 5. The lighting also really highlighted the pink breasts of the Franklin's Gulls, and the lovely colors of Tree Swallows resting on the vegetation with Barn Swallows. Further along the causeway were numerous Avocets. Picked out a few Black-necked Stilts on the return trip.

Gotta love shorebird migration!
Deedee