Backyard Birds

For years I have tried to attract Goldfinches and Pine siskin's to my
yard, while I have had a few they have been few and far between. I had a
plastic feeder before with the small hole for nyger seed but it didn't
do any good. Last January I bought two mesh socks with drawstrings at
the top that said they were for nyger seed, I hung them in my backyard
and what a show I have had ever since. There are Gold finches at those
feeders all the time. I have seen many more Pine Siskin's and just this
week I am getting Lesser Goldfinches which I had never seen in my yard
before. They sure do love these little mesh socks.

Unrelated to the mesh socks and goldfinches, are Cedar Waxwings. I have
had groups of between 20 and 30 birds in my back yard for the last
couple of weeks (unfortunately I haven't been able to turn any of them
into Bohemian Waxwings). They feed on berries in trees of my neighbors
front yard and rest in my cottonwood tree. So far this has been a great
spring in my yard.

There was also a huge flock of Sandhill Cranes that flew over Saturday
while I was working in my yard

Happy birding
Steve