Seeking volunteers for a "Roving Birder" program at Bear River

Hi All!

Would you be interested in taking part in a volunteer "Roving Birder"
program at Bear River Bird Refuge?

I'd like to build a corps of birders who will commit to at least 1/2 day
per month (approximately 4 hours), slowly making their way around the
12-mile auto tour route during a shift.  These shifts could be morning,
afternoon or evening, any day of the week, during the spring, summer and
fall months.  As a volunteer, while you're enjoying some leisurely birding,
you will also provide information and answer questions for visitors.  A
magnetic "Information" sign, with the Fish & Wildlife Service logo, will be
provided to adhere to the rear or side of your own vehicle, so that
visitors know they can stop to ask questions.  You wouldn't have to come
alone - bring along a friend or two!

A support "kit" with field guides, a couple extra pairs of binoculars,
checklists, refuge leaflets, community information, etc. will be provided,
which you would pick up and drop off at the visitor center.  You will also
be asked to wear a light-weight volunteer "vest" and nametag, to identify
you as a refuge volunteer.  You need to supply your own vehicle, gas,
water, snacks, etc.

The schedule will be very flexible.  You don't have to commit to a preset
time slot, unless you wish to.  Rather, you could just contact me a day or
more ahead of time, when you know you'll be coming to the refuge.  We will
also ask you to record your hours for each work period.  And you will be
required to sign a Volunteer Agreement that covers you for worker's
compensation during the time you spend volunteering.

Skills necessary would include a general knowledge of refuge birds.  You
don't have to be an expert, but should be able to identify most of the
birds you see.  (You'd have plenty of time to practice, while you were on
the job!)  Also, you should be able to answer questions in a genial manner.
I'd ask you to come for a visit ahead of time, so that we could chat.  And
I'd also require you to watch a couple of brief videos, to acquaint you
with the Fish & Wildlife Service, our goals, programs, etc.  And we will
provide some basic information on Bear River Refuge, and the local
community, to help you answer questions, as part of the kit.

If you are interested in helping us out, please call or email me.  I think
this program offers a great way for birders to help out the refuge WHILE
you're enjoying a few hours of birding!  And I hope the "non-schedule" will
make the program more attractive to birders as well.

Thank you!

Betsy Beneke
Outdoor Recreation Planner
Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge