Birds at Amalga Barrens

This past weekend (Friday, Saturday & Sunday morning) was my first survey of the Amalga Barrens property, owned by Bridgerland Audubon Society. A full report will be available in the near future on the BAS website. I just wanted to share some of the birds I saw out there.
Ducks, ducks and more ducks - hundreds upon hundreds of Northern Pintails, Green-winged Teals, Cinnamon Teals, Redheads, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Gadwalls, Lesser Scaup and Mallards.
Canada Geese in great numbers, many hunkered down on nest sites.
A couple of early Yellow-headed Blackbirds and many Savannah Sparrows, buzzing along in the pickleweed with the Red-winged Blackbirds.
The Avocets and Black-necked Stilts were there in fair numbers, certain to increase in the following days. One lone Long-billed Curlew flew over. A group of 6 Snow Geese passed over on Sunday morning.
A Bald Eagle was hunting for breakfast on Friday morning and two resident Golden Eagles were soaring over the area on Sunday.
Northern Harrier, Blue Heron, Sandhill Crane, Killdeer and American Coot were present.
A Killdeer was displaying to another (bouncing up and down, fanning its tail), 3 Cinnamon Teal males were bobbing their heads, chasing each other, hoping to gain the admiration of the one female they were pursuing.
Love is in the air at the Barrens!
The Barrens is a recognized IBA (Important Bird Area) in the country and lives up to its reputation.
I will keep you posted in the coming months on what we find out there.

Spring is here!!
Gotta love it!

Stephen Peterson

_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________