Wow Male Flicker in our Flicker Nest Box

Thanks to Bill Fenimore's advice on keeping Starlings out of Flicker Nest Boxes (fill the box to the top with wood shavings) we now have a male Flicker excavating the box and doing his mating call. It looks as if he's chipping away at the entrance to make it wider than the 2 1/2 " round that was in it. We have had 2 females eating peanut butter suet by the same tree so, if he is an acceptable daddy-type, we should have a pair here shortly. He certainly looks handsome to me.  I thought that Flickers picked their nest site in February so perhaps this is a second nest??? I haven't found any information on whether or not they have two nests at once.  At any rate, we're pretty excited.

The box we made for the Downy Woodpeckers has not yet been discovered by them even though they zip past it every day.

Nicky D