Varied Thrush

This morning as my wife and I were walking in Rock Canyon Park in Provo—specifically near a residence on the northeast corner of the picnic area—we heard the distinct sound of a Varied Thrush.  It made several of its monotone call at various pitches.  We heard it both at 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 am.  While there have been regular reports of Varied Thrush in Utah, I have never heard an individual sing.  Unfortunately, I did not have my binoculars with me and I was unable to locate the bird.  I don’t know of any other bird that makes that distinctive call.

Ned Hill