Re: Here is what my follow up email was following up on...

Brian,

The answer to your question is really "no."  The absolutely best you can do for both cateogories you want is the Panasonic FZ20.  You need "reach" to get birds, which you found out with your binoculars, and this will cost you a little more.  The point and shoots, which are the price category you are talking about, will never have the reach, though they can produce some very good images.

Brian Currie