Wednesday March 9, 2005

Yesterday I went out for a day of birding with a birder from near Galveston, Texas. We covered quite a bit of ground in search of what would turn out to be 11 "lifers" for my client (ten planned and one bonus). The day started early at the feeders at Alta, and then continued with a trip up Big Cottonwood Canyon, a stop in Olympus Cove, then out to Antelope Island and finally to Bear River Refuge. In the fading light of the day we made a mad dash to the Nucor Steel plant at Plymouth to try for Gray Partridge. We finished with 75 species for the day (see list below), among which were a number of good birds and fun sightings. Some of the highlights were:

Both Black and Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches at Alta.
Dippers singing (and batting those white eye-lids) at two places in Big Cottonwood Canyon; also an absolutely rabid flock of about 15 Mountain Chickadees, 2 Black-capped Chickadees, 15-20 Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2 Dark-eyed (Oregon) Juncos and 4 Cassin's Finches - I was lucky to get out of there with my head on :-).
On the Antelope Island Causeway we saw the Sanderling reported by Tim Avery along with 4 Least Sandpipers and a Killdeer on the rock "jetty" sticking out on the north side of the causeway between MM 1 & 2; we also saw a male Long-tailed Duck with a large raft of Common Goldeneye just northeast of the marina.
At Garr Ranch a Long-eared Owl (thanks to Bob Huntington for finding it), also 4 Mountain Bluebirds.
On the road to Bear River MBR, about 10 Snow Geese, 2 Sandhill Cranes, and 2 really stunning male Ring-necked Pheasants (can you say "breeding season?").
At least 10,000 Tundra Swans at Bear River, also an amazingly large number of Common Goldeneye, a Bald Eagle being chased by ravens, my first two Yellow-headed Blackbirds of the year (at least in the USA) and a large number of all the common waterfowl (my client said he'd never seen so many ducks, geese and swans in one place).
To end the day, two Gray Partridge scurrying along the roadside, stopping to "hide" behind a not-quite-thick-enough clump of grass, and then disappearing into the adjacent weedy field, at the crossroads at the back edge of the Nucor complex along the road to Johnson's Canyon.

It was a great day of birding!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
westwings@sisna.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)

Bird List for the day:

A  = Alta
BCC = Big Cottonwood Canyon
O = Olympus Cove
AIC = Antelope Island Causeway
AI = Antelope Island
BR = Bear River MBR (including the road to the refuge)
N = near Nucor
W = widespread

Snow Goose (10,BR)
Canada Goose (W)