Alan Godwin

Many of you know Alan Godwin, an excellent birder and member of the Utah birding community who moved to Kansas a few years ago to join the faculty of the University of Kansas. I just recently received some sad news about Alan which I would like to share with all those who know him.

Alan's mom called me with news that Alan has suffered a cerebral aneurism. The doctors think the bleeding started on February 8, but he wasn't taken to the hospital until the 11th. By that time, the pressure in his brain was "off the meter" and he crashed as soon as they got him through the door of the ICU. By some miracle, they were able to bring him back. He underwent two surgeries to repair the aneurism, and suffered 4 strokes after surgery. Luckily, none of the strokes were apparently serious. He was in the neural ICU for 17 days. He left the ICU last Monday, is breathing on his own, and (you can see Alan doing this) pulled out the feeding tube on his own.

His mother is very upbeat about his progress after several weeks of nothing but bad news. Alan is awake, can talk (though she says it take a huge mental effort on his part), and remembers many things, with more coming every day. Apparently he remembers most of his birds :-). He has full use of his left side, but only partial use of his right side. The doctors say it will take six months to know exactly what he'll get back and what he's lost. His Mom says that he gets a bit better every day.

If you'd like to contact Alan's mother directly or send a card or flowers, etc., I have phone numbers and his address. Please contact me directly for this.

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
westwings@sisna.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)