A Little Flurry in Ogden Cemetery

I visited Ogden Cemetery in Weber County briefly late this afternoon and found good bird activity.  The little flurry indicates to me that the alpine birds haven't started moving uphill yet.  I saw Brown Creepers, Black-capped and Mountain Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Ruby- and Golden-crowned Kinglets, Pine Siskins, American Goldfinches, and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Most of the little flock was pretty stubborn about moving lower in their pine tree despite my pishing, chishing, and wishing that they'd come down so I could get a better look.  A Dark-eyed Junco was the most curious one and he or she started an agitated chipping that caused the other birds (except three creepers) to move lower to look at me.  The most curious birds of all the species were the Pine Siskins and about a dozen descended through the tree's branches and twitched about until I stopped.

Most interesting and infuriating was the Golden-crowned Kinglet.  It flew lower and barely stayed long enough for me to get a glimpse of the strong white eyestripe.  Then it moved back up in the tree with the Mountain Chickadees.  I had the distinct sense that the Golden-crowned was staying specifically with the Mountain Chickadees that also remained in the very tops of any pine they chose.  Grrr...!

Ogden Cemetery is located on 20th Street east of Washington Blvd (US 89).

Kris