Bird photos

Just returned from an amazing trip to the Si'an Kaan Bisosphere Preserve in
the southern Yucatan.  Birding wasn't the focus of the trip, but in a few
hours of watching, some of the more exotic birds I saw included Roseatte
Spoonbills, Squirrel Cucoo, Wood Storks, Orange Orioles, Yellow Backed
Orioles, Keel Billed Toucan, numerous warblers (don't have my list with me
at work) & Yucatan Jay.

I am wondering if anyone has some advice on getting better bird photographs
from my existing camera.  I have a 4 mp Canon Powershot G3 camera.  I'm
wondering what it takes to hook the camera to a scope and what quality can
be expected from that arrangement?  If money were no concern I assume I
would be better off just moving to an SLR with appropriate lenses, but
money IS a concern.

Any suggestions?

John Stratton