Bountiful Landfill

I visited Bountiful Landfill yesterday (Saturday) and there were lots of Herring
Gulls, probably more the 150 individuals.  I only saw one adult Thayer's which I
thought was odd.  There was one second winter and several first winter Thayer's,
one adult and one first or second winter (probably 2nd) Glaucous, two probable
Glaucous-winged x Herring (one first and one third winter), one possible
Glaucous-winged x Western, and one pale bird that looked like a Glaucous x
Herring with darkish primaries.  Maybe the most intriguing bird of the
afternoon was an adult Herring Gull with dark eyes.  It had a Herring sized
bill with black visible on the underside of the primaries.  It also had white
spots between the gray tongues on the primaries (approximately P6-8?) and the
black sub-terminal markings on those feathers.  I wasn't able to compare the
mantle shade directly to any other Herring Gulls but it didn't strike me as
being a lot darker.

All in all a nice afternoon of gulling.  I didn't see either Glaucous Gull for
the first hour and a half so it's worth sticking around for a while if you go.
There are birds coming and going all day.

Cliff
october@ida.net