Dead Short-eared Owl

Hi all,

On Tuesday night, at about 12:30 AM (actually Wednesday morning) on my way home, as I was driving south on 1500 West in Nibley, I saw a dead bird in the street just behind the water processing plant (or whatever that is).  I didn't think much of it until I got to the stop sign just north of the dairy.  I began to think, "Was this my Barn Owl?"  So, I went back to look at it.  I determined that is was indeed an owl, but it appeared to have no head.  Based on its size and coloring, I called it a Barn Owl, albeit a headless one.

Yesterday, I was on my way to Logan, so I stopped again to check out the owl.  He was still where I left him.  I had moved him out of the road and onto the snowbank the night before.  When I flipped him over with my foot, a small rodent crawled out from under his carcass, and I noticed that he did indeed have a head.  He had yellow eyes, a black beak and a white "x" on his face.  Based on all these marks, I concluded that my dead owl was a Short-eared Owl.

Knowing that my Barn Owl was still alive made me feel better, but I was still sad over the loss of this beautiful Short-eared.

Good birding,
Richard