Northern Utah on 1/17/05

Hello all,

Since things are slow I won't feel bad about posting this boring report.  Yesterday (Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday) I went to Mayor's Pond in Brigham City to hopefully find some Greater Scaup.  There was no ice at all on the pond, and the only wild birds were a male and female common goldeneye.  There were three barnyard type ducks.

Since Mantua Reservoir is just three miles away, I thought I might have some luck with there being some ice on the water, forcing the waterfowl to congregate.  Boy was there ever ice.  The whole reservoir was iced over except where the stream (river in Utah?) is on the south end, and there was very little open water there (where reservoir meets stream).  Many people were ice fishing or pulling there children on sleds out on the ice.  My, what a difference three miles makes and a relatively small change in altitude.

From here I went to Dale Young Pond in Perry (on 2250 South, south of the Maddox).  Many DE Juncos, the few I looked at were of the Pink-sided variety. A few song sparrows as well.  One local Sparrow Hawk (oops, Am. Kestrel, that's for Mark : ) ).  On the water were about 25 Canada Geese, and one very odd bird mixed in with them.  It was snow goose size, based on its proximity to the Canada Geese, had an all white head which went down to the top of the chest and then went in to a beautiful rust color that appeared to go all the way down its breast, abdomen, to its undertail coverts.  Couldn't see the back too well.  I was on the east side of the pond at the end of the trail, on my knees so as not to spook the Canada Geese.  However, I could see basically nothing through all the dead vegetation, so I stood up a little only to have the whole flock of geese flush (I was about 90-100 yards away).  The Ca. Geese flew north, this oddity flew east.  Either an escapee or pretty hybrid that I couldn't get a long enough look to determine if it was a Snow Goose hybrid (but with what that has rust?).  But that is what it reminded me of.  It flew faster than the CA Geese and had the secondaries were all white, on both wings.  Wings about as broad as a Snow Goose's.  Instead of some oddity of nature, it seemed like this waterfowl should look this way.  In either case it was pretty and I did NOT get a photo.  That'll teach me.

From here I went to Willard Bay.  Not much time there.  Saw another Am. Kestrel (or two) with a successful kill; an immature RT Hawk that flew down and carried off some apparent nest building materials (? - more likely whatever it went after was in that clump of material).  About 10 Bald Eagles, most on the south side where you cannot drive to.  One mature eagle was in the camping area where the lights are displayed for Christmas.  And this I know no one will believe me, but I saw grackles.  I saw at least two (well, only two) that flew almost right over my car, and continued to head south.  Their tails were nicely fanned out, couldn't see the eye, couldn't say for sure which one it was as in the air I had nothing to compare it to for size, but it didn't seem too much larger than the nearby Am. Kestrel that was feeding.  But, the only thing I can be sure of is that it was a grackle.  Don't worry, I wouldn't believe me either if I wasn't there.  If someone goes up there and sees them, I certainly would appreciate hearing about it.  I was on the immediate south side of the marina when they flew over me.  They came from the north and flew into the campground area on the south that is closed for the season.  I could not see if they continued on.  I know, I know, you are all saying, "Are you sure it wasn't a Rock Wren?" : )

Good birding,

Brian