Cassins vs. Purple Finches

I know that there have not been any documented Purple Finch sightings in the state of Utah (according to Utahbirds.org), but I have been very curious about some rather odd looking Cassin's Finches that have started showing up at my feeders the past week.

There are a few females that have a very well defined white eyebrow behind the eye and a dark lateral throat stripe. The back is more mottled than some of the other females, lacking really distinct dark striping as the Cassin's do. Also, the female finches in question also have an underlying yellowish tint to their plumage around the neck line and throat/breast area.The field guides I have consulted point towards a Purple Finch, but I still believe that they are probably just Cassin's.
I guess I am unsure what else to look for to rule out a Purple Finch from this group of Cassin's.
I surely don't want to make something in to what it is not.
Any help, feedback would be appreciated.

As a sidenote, I saw one Bohemian Waxwing in with a group of 20 plus Cedars, cleaning the fruit off of my hawthorn trees.

Peace,
Stephen Peterson
Logan, UT
_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________