To: "birdtalk" <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:54 PM
Subject: A little game . . .

O.K., it's really stormy outside, so how about a little indoor birding fun, aside from watching the feeders (though that's been pretty good at my place lately - I had a delightful White-breasted Nuthatch today). Here's a little game - see how many you can get.

I received a really wonderful Christmas gift from a most unlikely source - the father of my daughter's boyfriend. It seems as though he found an old copy of Peterson's Field Guide to Western Birds at an estate sale recently, and, knowing I'm a birder, picked it up for me. As it turns out, it's a first-edition from 1941 - predating the copy I used as a child by twenty years. It's a wonderful book - truly a remarkable work for it's time. One thing that I've found fascinating is looking at all of the old names that were used back then. We've all been driven a bit crazy with new names and splits, so maybe it's time to have some fun with it.

Of course, some of our "new" names can be found in these old pages - Spotted and Canyon Towhees are there, for example, as is Wilson's Snipe. Other names are only slightly different, like White-faced Glossy Ibis and Flammulated Screech Owl. It's also interesting that there are Cackling, Lesser and Common Canada Geese. There's only one Dowitcher (wouldn't that make life easier!). But there's quite a few that all but the really "old-timers" amongst us might have trouble recognizing.

Here's a list of names I pulled from the book that are different than the name used today. Some are a bit obvious, while others are almost completely unintelligible. Try your hand at this list. How many can you name by their current, AOU name? You can send replies to me or to Birdtalk, I'll post a list of the answers in a few days. By the way, all but a few of these are on the Utah checklist, those that aren't I've marked with an asterisk (*), and, just to keep you honest, you'll see that I've mixed up the order a bit :-).

Good luck!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
westwings@sisna.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)

Short-billed Gull
Man-O'-War Bird
Audubon's Warbler
American Egret