RE: "a model of superb documentation"

True, from a geographical perspective this post doesn't seem to matter to
you in Utah (or to me in Idaho, either)...but there is a VERY IMPORTANT
lesson here for us all to pay close attention to.  How many times have we
looked at a bird - WITHOUT REALLY LOOKING AT THE BIRD - and come to an
identification conclusion because it is what we EXPECT, or maybe even what
we want to see.  Perhaps someone else has seen it before us and made the
"authoritive" identification...or it was posted to be a certain kind of
bird...or it is what "always" occurs in that area at that time of the
year...or...or...or. Believe me when I say that there is much more
satisfaction in carefully coming to a conclusion based on detailed, thorough
personal observation and documentation than on what all too often is a
flipant community-based "OK, I saw it.  Now what?"
This may be a bit backwards to some, but I would rather go into the field
with a notebook and pencil (and perhaps a camera) than with a field guide in
my pocket or car.  There was a point where I acturally consciously left my
field guide at home, so that I would be dependent on taking notes and
otherwise documenting what I was seeing.
Note the line in the observer's post: "I am very
> inexperienced with waterthrushes so would appreciate ANY comments."
Inexperience is all the MORE reason for painstaking documentation...and
inexperience does not preclude us finding "good birds!"
And finally remember: "It is what we think we know that we really don't
until we really get to know it personally."

Harry Krueger
Boise, ID
hkrueger@cableone.net