RE: New Years Day Birding Contest

Greetings from Kansas, where I am preparing to pack up and head out to the
University of Utah for a six-month sabbatical research leave. Since I have
not left home yet, my first bird of 2005 might be a bit different from a
bird I might see in Utah, and it is certainly different from my first bird
of 2004 here (Yellow-shafted Flicker).

But I looked out my window at dawn this morning and saw a Hermit Thrush
drinking from the birdbath in the back yard; that is an excellent omen for
the birds I might see in 2005, I think! Hermit Thrushes are regular but rare
here in winter, and this one has been in the neighborhood since our
Christmas Bird Count on Dec. 18.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Utah birds, and seeing some myself
in a few days.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Rintoul                             <drintoul at ksu dot edu>
Biology Division - KSU                        ICBM: 39.18N, 96.34W
Manhattan KS 66506-4901                          VOX: 785-532-0104
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~drintoul/           FAX: 785-532-6653

"Scientists are treacherous allies on committees, for they are apt to
change their minds in response to arguments." - C.M. Bowra, 1898-1971