Re: New Years Day Birding Contest

It must be the day for Cooper's Hawks! My first birds were a combo of House Finches, American Goldfinches, European Starlings all at my feeders while I was feeding on the other side of the window (breakfast). Then the Cooper's flew in to a nearby tree and they all vacated quicky. My Starlings apparently aren't as brave.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Tuck" <robin@utahnature.com>
To: <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 9:34 AM
Subject: New Years Day Birding Contest

Well, not a contest really, but several birders I know like to note the
first bird they see in the new year, and compare it with the first bird they
saw in prior years.

So, today, let's share what bird was our 'first bird' of 2005.

Quite by accident, this morning I looked up as I was shoveling my driveway,
and saw a Cooper's Hawk cruise into a neighbors tree, with a small flock of
European Starlings close behind mobbing him (her). I have to say, this is
the best 'first bird' I have ever seen.

How about you? What was your 'first bird' of 2005?

Robin Tuck