Peterson's Park and cameras

I took a short trip to my church stake's campground, Peterson's Park and saw a few Northern Flickers, Black-capped Chickadees, 2 Spotted Towhees, a Cedar Waxwing with a small group of sparrows, and a large number of Black-billed Magpies...

Now, I notice a lot of pics on the utahbird.org site.  I suppose most people have pretty nice cameras, but what are some lower-priced cameras people use that do a decent job for birders as well?  I have a young family and won't be looking at a $1500 camera for years, but we do want to purchase a digital camera for family things, but I want to use it on birding occasions, too.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian