Cackling Goose ID problems

As I have found this is tenidng to be a touhg ID problem.  I have seen a fair
share of the Richardson's subspecies in Wisconsin, and there is no doubt that
those birds were Cacklers.  In Utah, I am now looking back and thinking that
most of the Cackling Goose sightings of mine, were probabaly not cacklers, but
Canada Geese on the far range of how small the birds can be.  What troubles me
and many is the bill shape and size.  Some birds in the Canada family have
shorter stubbier bills, and if those geese are small, they may look like a
Cackling Goose.  After recieveing comments form Mark Stackhoue, Colby Neuman,
and a few others, as well as discussing this topic in Wisconsin, I only would
sya that 1 of my sightings in Utah was possibly a Cackling Goose.  The other
birds were short billed Canada Geese.  Size wise, most of these Geese were only
slightly larger than a big Mallard, and signifigantly smaller than most Canada
Geese around.  But, they jsut weren't quite right for Cackling Goose.

Eventually these birds will start showing up more often, and probabaly are
around, the key is jsut checking out every tiny bird seen.  Size isn't going to
be the determining factor but will help.  THe bil and head shape are key, in
Sibleys look at the Cakling and Richardson's subspecies images to see how
different they look.

Here are a few images for ID differences:

Cackling Goose

http://tanager.smugmug.com/gallery/183057/1/10555275

Cackling goiose and Canada Comparison Shot

http://tanager.smugmug.com/gallery/183057/1/10555274

Canada/Cackling ID problem bird

http://tanager.smugmug.com/gallery/183057/1/12040111

Cackling/Canada ID problem, both are probalby Canada Geese

http://tanager.smugmug.com/gallery/328606/1/13067101

Extremely small range Canada Goose

http://tanager.smugmug.com/gallery/183057/2/10304987

I will use more caution in ID'ing these geese for the future, and hopefull witht
he help of others, we will be able to get a couple definate sightings.

Good Birding

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT or Beloit, WI
http://www.timaverybirding.com