Stalking the Wild Eagle

Pomera Fronce and I birded west of Corinne yesterday in Box Elder County both along SR-83 and out to Golden Spike NHS.  The day was beautiful and we made the most of birding in remote desert and ranchland.  Although we saw few raptors, they included  Red-tails, Rough-legs, American Kestrels, Northern Harriers, Golden Eagles, and Bald Eagles (at Willard Bay).  The highlight was provided by a pair of Golden Eagles perched overlooking a sweeping expanse of marsh.

Our first two looks at Golden Eagles were at long distances.  One bird was perched atop a power pole within the Thiokol complex and another soared along a ridge west of Thiokol.  Pomera commented how nice it would be to see an eagle closer.  Her wish was the charm that did the trick.  Little did we know that we were about to see a pair of Golden Eagles as close as either of us had ever been to a wild eagle.

We turned off SR-83 at mile marker 8 and headed north on the dirt road to Salt Creek WMA.  Far in the distance and just west of the road, a low rocky bluff rises above the marsh.  We could see two dark lumps perched on a rocky outcrop of the bluff.  At that distance, we could only be sure that the lumps were not jet-black ravens.  The identity of the Golden Eagles was revealed as we closed the distance, but still, it took binoculars to see that they were eagles.  The structure of the bluff offered us a golden opportunity--and we took it.

We parked east of the bluff, out of sight, and hundreds of yards away from the pair of eagles.  They were perched on a westward-facing crag that overlooked the north expanse of Public Shooting Grounds WMA.  The bluff disguised our approach and kept any crunching of gravel or rustling of brush from reaching the birds that we stalked.  Even so, it seemed impossible to me that wild creatures would not detect the approach of two humans.

As we neared the top of the bluff, we crept along the the eastern slope and ducked low to use the rocks as a blind.  Finally, the ridge fell away and I prepared to peek over the edge, Kilroy-fashion.  What a shock!  The eagles were still there...50, maybe 60 feet away  Both birds perched serenely on the crag, backs to me, golden napes glowing, unaware that two humans had just crept closer than they ever would have allowed.

Just as quickly as I peeked up, I popped back down.  I gestured toward Pomera that the eagles were still there.  I don't exactly know what the _expression_ was on my face, but later Pomera described a look of great shock.  I must have been catching flies.  Anyway, Pomera and I switched places and she, too, did her Kilroy imitation to get a look at the great birds so close.  Her gestures indicated that, "Wish I had my camera!" feeling.  We switched places again.  The next time I peered over the rock, one eagle half turned its head, caught a glimpse of me, and both birds took flight.  What regrets I felt.  Pomera and I watched them as their huge wings flapped deeply over the marsh and they blended into the horizon line.  It was an amazing experience!

We abandoned our natural blind and approached the rocky perch.  I couldn't resist...I climbed it.  I wondered if it was a favorite place and I might find a juicy coyote leg left behind or some such thing.  But alas, no signs revealed how frequently the birds visited, other than a few chalk marks.

It seemed such a marvel to stand on the spot where two wild Golden Eagles had just perched, minutes earlier.  The gray rock was covered with flecks of soft green and bright orange lichens.  Nooks and crannies and crevices looked perfect for Yellow-bellied Marmots to hide...or for hapless hikers to step.  Tufts of dried golden grass waved in the light breeze, and of course, our eyes were drawn to the sweeping, sun-soaked marsh below.   Breathtaking...breathtaking!

I wish, I wish, I wish that the eagles had not detected me.  But at least both Pomera and I had an opportunity to see them at such close range.  We agreed that one of the eagles was an adult, and the other was perhaps a 2nd year bird due to the lighter accents on the wing and tail coverts. As we walked away from the bluff and back to the truck, it didn't seem to matter that we hadn't seen many other raptors.  Those two made the day.

Kris