Re: Yellow-rumped Warbler?

Yellow-rumped Warblers seem to over-winter in small numbers along the Wasatch Front, and in greater numbers in southern Utah, where they are sometimes joined by a few Orange-crowned Warblers. These are the only warblers that regularly spend the winter in Utah, although there are occasional "lost souls" that show up here out-of-season.

We almost always get some Yellow-rumped Warblers on the Salt Lake Christmas Bird Count, mostly from the parks, cemeteries, and along the riparian zones, especially the Jordan River. They seem to like areas with deciduous trees in winter. I also have the impression that they become more difficult to find as the winter progresses, so that they are seen less in late February, for example, than they are in November and December, but that's just my impression.

Nice yard bird!

Mark Stackhouse
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, UT)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)