Steller's Jay Dispersal in Pacific NW

This Fall there has been a pronounced movement of Steller's Jay into numerous localities across the region that usually do not have birds present.  It has been generally assumed that these are birds moving attitudinally rather than from a distance, but perhaps this is an assumption that should be reassessed in the light of information available.

Currently there are sixteen (16) subspecies of Steller's Jay, ranging south all the way to Nicaragua, with four (4) in the Pacific Northwest as follows:.
I currently have received photos of at least two birds (one from Spokane, WA and another from north-central Idaho) that definitely are C. s. macrolopha, strongly suggesting a movement of birds into this area from more eastern mountains rather than just an altitudinal dispersion.  It would be very instructive to have further documentation (photos and/or descriptions) relating to the birds that are currently being seen in the region(s).  Again, as with the Blue Jay invasion, I will keep you all updated as to developments as I am able to discern them. I will shortly post the above pictures (and any others that would help illustrate the subspecies in question and/or document dispersion on www.IdahoBirds.net ).

Harry Krueger
Boise
208-407-2786
hkrueger@cableone.net