Waxwings

The Salt Lake Birders, during their monthly field trip, came across 2 large flocks of Bohemian Waxwings, along with a couple of individual Cedars.  After running up and down the Mirror Lake highway to the Soapstone area and seeing only a couple of small possible flying flocks, we found a flock of about 50 perched in a cottonwood tree on the east edge of the city of Kamas, at about 11:30 a.m.  It was a nice lifer for one member.

Then, coming up the East Canyon highway at mile post 11.2, across from the Dutch Hollow Ranch, a large flock of between 120-150 Bohemians was seen covering several scrub oaks at the edge of the road.  This was about 3:30 p.m.

We also saw well over a dozen Townsend's Solitaires on the Mirror Lake highway.

--Steve Carr