Re: FW: Red-throated loon

Merrill Webb, Glenn Barlow and I saw the RED-THROATED LOON at Hyrum
Reservoir today.  After observing the bird for some time and consulting
several field guides, we found the best representation of this loon can be
found in Kaufman's Focus Guide, Birds of North America.  Ron's assessment
below is right on--the bird appears to be a juvenile.

The Red-throated Loon remained on the south side of the reservoir across
from the main boat ramp and day use parking area.  It swam slowly back and
forth across the south bluff (above which you'll see a line of large homes),
and was rather inactive other than the swimming.

In addition to the loon, we also found the two WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS at the
Beach Area as previously reported by Lu Giddings, a female or juvenile SURF
SCOTER along the south shore and east of the Red-throated Loon, and a male
BARROW'S GOLDENEYE keeping company with a male Common Goldeneye near the
Beach Area.  We did not see any Pacific Loons.

Other birds in and around the reservoir:
Scaup sp.
Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Ring-necked Pheasant
Common Loon
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
American Coot
Ring-billed Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

A stroll along the shoreline east of the main day use area produced most of
the little birds, above.  A large and dispersed mixed flock worked the
scrubby north slope overlooking the reservoir.

Kris