Update on Pacific Loon at Hyrum Reservoir & Ross's Goose

On Sunday at 8:00 am,  I saw the Pacific Loon over on the East side of Hyrum Reservoir. There were 2 Common Loons that were nearby to the Pacific. The Pacific swam towards one of the Commons and they kind of stared each other down when they came neck to neck. I got great looks at the differences between the Common and Pacific Loon.

The other significant bird of interest that I saw on the east side was a pair of Ross's Goose. A white adult and a dark phase adult, with the black back, neck, nape and cap.

I had to sneak down to the shore to get good looks at these birds, since I do not have a scope. I sat down on the sand bar and watched for about an hour all the birds on the water. Other birds included:
Canvasback
American Coot
Bufflehad
Common Goldeneye
Scaup (too far out to distinguish if they were Lesser or Greater)
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Clarks Grebe
Western Grebe
Common Merganser (saw 6 males fly right over my head, about 30 ft up!)
Ring-billed Gull
Gadwall
Northern Harrier (a pair of juveniles cruising the shores)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (dive bombing a Magpie in the trees further up the shore)

I then drove out towards Paradise and looped around on to the Mt. Sterling road.

I saw 3 Red-tailed Hawks and 1 very large Ferruginous Hawk that flew 3 times and landed on the ground, giving me great looks at the white crescents at the tips of its wings, the almost perfectly white chest, belly and underwings, and its large bill with the gape extending under its eye.

I got to the west end of Hyrum reservoir by 10:45 am and saw the Pacific Loon again with 5 Common Loons by the dam. I am assuming it is the same bird, or could there be two?

I did not see the Scoters, but they could have been clear out in the middle and I could not pick them up with just my binoculars.

Peace,
Stephen

_______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________