Scoters at Hyrum Lake

This morning, I decide to check out Hyrum Lake to see what was on it.  When I arrived, I ran into a group of birders, but I'm not sure where they were from.  They told me that there were a group of Scoters on the lake.  They let me observe them through one of their scopes, and neither I, nor anyone else could decide if they were White-winged  or Surf Scoters.  I then went back home to get Jill, and when I got back to the sport that I had originally observed them from, I saw a group of about 6 birds or so fly off, and they had white patches on their wings.  This makes me think that the Scoters were White-winged Scoters.  I just went back to see if I could see them again, but they were gone.

I'm hoping that someone else has sen these birds on Hyrum Lake and can confirm if they are, in fact, Surf Scoters.

I also saw on my three trips to the lake Common and Pacific Loons, Western Grebes, American Coots, Buffleheads and the usual gulls.

Good birding,
Richard