Evening Grosbeak

I stayed home from birding today and it turned out to be great! First thing
in the morning all the neighborhood COMMON GRACKLES and recent drop-ins
(about 30 or more) gathered on my deck and in the bushes surrounding it and
had a powwow. At first I thought they were there to thank me for all the
food this year, but then I decided they were congregating to assign
migrating duties. It looked like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The
Birds."  The group left shortly thereafter.

Then about 11:00 am I glanced out at the birdbath on my deck and there was a
female EVENING GROSBEAK taking a drink.  I almost fell off my chair. I got
my camera and tripod and slid open the sliding glass door to await the next
visit--1 1/2 hours later I was still waiting.  I finally gave up.  At 3:00
pm it returned to take another drink and of course my camera was in the
other room.  Oh, well. First time ever seeing an Evening Grosbeak in my
yard in Taylorsville. Bad weather can be a GOOD thing.

Carol