RE: Birding vs. hunting

I also grew up in a family that hunted everything from ducks to elk.  My
oldest brother was a duck hunter and because of that he learned a lot about
waterfowl.  He supported organizations that helped protect wetlands and
later on after he stopped hunting he became an avid birder and he and his
wife started the Red Cliffs Audubon in St. George.  He has often told me of
the value of hunters because without them very few people would care what
happened to the wetlands. Every time I go out birding I think about that
and I'm glad that there are places left to watch waterfowl. And every time
I see a wetlands plowed under or an open space filled with homes where
hawks once hunted, I wish there were more people like hunters who cared
about the habitat for whatever reason.
I tip my hat to the hunters and hopefully when they get older they, too,
will become birders and join birdwatching or habitat conservation
organizations.

Carol