Re: Sandhill Cranes Migrating South

--- cllslp@msn.com wrote:

> I personally believe that 1 crane taken is one too
> many, but at least the
> number of permits sold is not as great as it has
> been in earlier years.
> What is done with a Sandhill Crane? Eaten, mounted?
> I see no use in it.

I haven't been hunting for over 20 years, so I won't
even try to pretend to be an expert, but I will offer
a couple of observations.
A fellow that I work with claims a nickname for the
Sandhill Crane is "Flying Porterhouse".  He claims the
meat from the Sandhill is very good eating.  (I will
resist the temptation to say "They taste like
chicken!!")

> December and I'm hoping that the hunters can tell
> the difference between the
> Tundras and the Trumpeters. Even though there is
> still no penalty for taking
> a Trumpeter.

Just last weekend this same fellow, who is an AVID
hunter, ran across another hunter who had bagged a
Double Crested Cormorant because he "thought it was a
duck..."  I would hope this 2nd hunter is denied ever
getting a Swan permit!!!

=====
Ain't Birding Great!!!
Bruce Robinson