Waterfowl Moving In!

I birded Mantua Reservoir in Box Elder County today and saw a nice collection of waterfowl.  Most species have adopted their breeding plumage again, although some are still in transition and one species (Green-winged Teal) is still wearing eclipse brown.  Other ducks or waterbirds:

Gadwall (many)
American Wigeon (many)
Mallard
Northern Shoveler (one)
Northern Pintail (a handful)
Redhead (a bunch at the north end)
Ring-necked Duck (a few scattered)
Lesser Scaup (many scattered)
Bufflehead (a handful on the east side)
Ruddy Duck (a few)
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe
American White Pelican
American Coot (seven billion)
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs (about a dozen)
Ring-necked Gull

When I first stopped near the southeast curve of the reservoir, a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow led me to a "money tree"--a willow.  Several feet above the sparrow, a male Red-naped Sapsucker was working the trunk and remained there for the afternoon.  While I watched the sapsucker a Brown Creeper advanced up the tree to within 2 feet of the woodpecker.  Then I was distracted by a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the back of the tree.  During a short period of time, the tree was also visited by a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, House Finch, Pine Siskins, Yellow-rumped Warblers, American Goldfinches, and Northern Flickers.  I also saw Black-capped Chickadees and a Northern Harrier in the area.  Around the reservoir, I saw Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers and a Red-tailed Hawk.

Keep your eyes and ears open for Brown Creepers.  They seem to be moving down from the higher elevations in good numbers.  In the past 9 days, I've seen a total of 7 Brown Creepers--two at Beus Pond in Ogden, three at Box Elder Campground in Mantua, and two around the reservoir today.  I think that's a good number considering my total for the year was only 1 before last week.

Kris