Yellowstone Trip

Well, I am back from Yellowstone.  I did get the bears and wolves I went after.  I didn't have time to look for the Great Gray Owl, nor the Boreal.  If anyone is going up to the park in the near future. GGO has been seen all summer in the Shoshones Lake Trail.  The Boreal Owl is found in near Moose something by the south entrance (which is under construction). I will post correct names later.
Black-backed Woodpeckers can be found at the most recent fire site. Going from Fishing Bridge to the East entrance, that road is only open from 6am-10am and 6-10pm  Same area where Grizzlies have been see in the morning.

I had two possible Black-backed sightings  near Old Faithful, but didn't get good looks due to poor light.

I had three lifers, Trumpeter Swan near the west entrance and between Mammoth Springs and Tower Falls.  Williamson's Sapsucker by the Petrified Tree.

And Sabine's Gull at Island Park Reservoir near the dam.

I camped Saturday night at Henry's Lake State Park ID, Where I had planned to look for the owls.  But as soon as I had set up camp the storm blew in, almost taking my tent with it.  So I had given up on the Owls.  When in the morning I woke up to a Great Horned Owl calling over my tent.  So in a haste I got up and got my gear ready to race up the mountain to look for the other owls, but I was running out of gas, and the sun was rising so no luck.

It was a great trip for my first visit to Yellowstone.

The only down side was the lack of time to look for the owls and breaking my camera.

Good birding

Ed

Do you Yahoo!?