Red Cliffs Audubon September Field Trip

Hi

Our first field trip of the season will be this Saturday (9/18/'04). We will meet at the BLM office, 345 E. Riverside Dr. at 8:00AM. All birders are welcome.

Destination points are Lava Point (Zion NP), Blue Springs Reservoir and Kolob Reservoir.

Our past trips to these points have turned up migrating waterfowl and shorebirds on the reservoirs, kettling Red-tailed Hawks, Zone-tailed Hawks, Northern Goshawk, Condors, Wild Turkey, both Bald and Golden Eagles and various passerines, including Lewis' Woodpecker and Mountain Bluebird.

Most recently (Aug. 31, '04) there was a reported Acorn Woodpecker about 2 miles up canyon from the parking lot of the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead next to Pine Valley Peak near a large old pine tree, or 3 miles down from Blue Springs Reservoir - near the Lamoreaux Cabin.

Good birding.

Bill Hunter
Red Cliffs Audubon
St. George, Utah