Lewis's Woodpecker: Back Already!

A LEWIS'S WOODPECKER perched on a power pole at the corner of Shadow Valley Drive and Fillmore Ave in Ogden/Weber County this afternoon.  This pole served as the winter pantry of a Lewis's Woodpecker until mid-May, and then the bird was gone for the summer.  A Lewis's also spent the winter of 2002-2003 in the same vicinity.  I choose to believe it's the same one.

Today's woodpecker wasted no time in stocking the pantry.  Since the cracks in the pole were hollowed out last year, there's less work to do.  The bird flew to a backyard thick with scrub oak and returned with acorns twice.  The first time, he or she pounded the acorn into a crack and eventually discarded the shell to the grass below.  The second time, the woodpecker transported an acorn with green leafy twig still attached.  As the pounding ensued, the twig was quickly snipped off and dropped to the base of the pole.  Then the shell suffered the same fate.  The woodpecker rearranged its cache a few times and I concluded that it's going to stick around.  Reply for directions.

Kris