Northern Waterthrushes

I birded Willard Bay State Park in Box Elder County today and came across two different NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES.  Both birds were in Willow Campground.  I heard the first, but did not see it, along the eastern edge of the pond that's north of campsites 4, 5, and 6.  I heard and saw the second waterthrush flying and foraging along the small wooded stream adjacent to and east of campsites 31, 33, and 34.  Waterthrush #2's pale plumage is a bit yellowish instead of being white.

Dana Green has consistently reported this second site in previous years.  Dana and I birded together last August and we stopped at Willow Campground.  She told me she had seen Northern Waterthrushes at that spot in the past, and Poof!  There was a Northern Waterthrush.  I was really impressed.  I tried the trick today and Poof!  Poof!  There were Northern Waterthrushes.

The number of warbler species was unremarkable.  However, phenomenal numbers of Wilson's Warblers, Warbling Vireos, and Yellow Warblers are passing through the park right now.  In addition, I saw at least a dozen Gray Catbirds, a Virginia's Warbler, MacGillivray's Warblers, Eastern Kingbirds, Western Wood Pewees, and a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.

I walked out through the tamarisk to the receding lake shore west of Willow Campground to find only a few shorebird species.  Those I saw included Marbled Godwits, many Spotties, Killdeer, and yellowlegs sp.  The number of Western and Clark's Grebes stretches as far as the eye can see.

The north entrance to Willard Bay SP is located at exit 360 of I-15.

Kris