meaningless hummer observations?

Hi,

I have a female Calliope Hummingbird coming to my feeders. She had been here at least a week before I figured out what she was. I have not been paying much attention to them. I was watching from my kitchen window which is about a foot away from the feeder, when a stubborn hummer literally got pushed off of the perch by a female Rufous. Had the Rufous been a male I would have thought otherwise. I then noticed how short its beak was. Closer looking showed the wings were longer than the tail and hence the ID. She is quite aggressive and chases the Black-chins away and holds her own with the Rufous.

Now the observation:

I have a Perky-Pet with the yellow bee guards. The guards make the sugar water about a half inch away. That is about the limit of reach for the Calliope. She cannot sit on the perch and drink. It is too far away. She must fly to eat. Next year I will try some different feeders.

A couple of years ago I had a small hummer and I did not think about it being a Calliope. I am sure the feeders I have out discourages them.

I have been trying to get a picture, but as soon as I step out on the deck, they all leave. I should have been spending more time with them.

Jack Binch