American Redstart

Saturday morning (8/14/04 around 10 am)  I saw an AMERICAN REDSTART  on
the Provo River (Utah County) walkway at the Oxbow. I called Milton and
he asked Eric to put it on the ucb-net (thank you Eric). I thought I
should  put this on the birdtalk  for the benefit of those who might not
subscribe to our local net and for those who keep the Great Basin and
other yearly state records.  It was an ADULT MALE in beautiful plumage
and I got the best close looks ever (outside of  Magee Marsh ). Milton
came down, but we were not able to relocate it  around the Oxbow .

Directions:  Take Exit 268 (I-15) in Provo and go about 2 miles west
towards
Utah Lake State Park.  Just before you get to the fee station for the
state
park, turn right and go about a block and turn right on Boat Harbor Road.

Go about a mile to a parking lot that's right next to the road.  Take the

trail going up stream for about 100 feet where the trail splits. Take the
left one going
around the oxbow for another 50 feet.  I saw the bird by the flowing
water pipe in the willow thicket and in a cottonwood over the trail.

Good birding   ~  Tuula