More Mystery Bird

Well, I guess I'll have to eat crow (or wren) as to diagnosis.  Jim's photo and the mystery bird look like they could have come from the same clutch.  There is some problem with the mystery bird -- it has some growths of some kind that are obscuring the left eye and over the brow and the beak, so that there is a muddied connection between the bill and forehead, unlike Jim's bird which shows the usual sharp demarcation.  It may have a disease of some sort that is causing the growth.  Rock Wrens are somewhat smaller than flickers, thrashers and Cactus Wrens, but are larger than Canyon and House Wrens.  Oftentimes size differentiation can be a real challenge without a good, close landmark.

--Steve