Brians Mystery Bird

Well since everyone esle is chiming on teh listserve instead of back channel, I
will give my 2 cents on the ID of this bird.  Despite the size factor which
Brian has described, this bird has all the field marks of a late first year
Rock Wren.  And on the contrary, it has no marks that would relate it to a
Thrasher, any of them.  The bill is similair to but not the same as that of a
Bendire's or Sage, which this bird is defiantely not.  So let's look at a Rock
Wren and see ho it compares head to tail:

1. Medium length, thick,  slightly downcurved bill
2. Buffy eyeline
3. Triangular dark patch under the eye.
4. Finely speckled back
5. Dark Primaries contrasting with the flanks and rest of the wing
6. Checked Primaries and Secondaires
7. Buffy rear flanks
8. An obviously checked tail
9. and the genreal body shape is that of a Rock Wren, from head to tail.

If this were a Thrasher of any sports, there would be no markings like the ones
on the tail of this bird, or the wings.  Fieldmarks found commonly on most
Wren's, and obvious on the Rock Wren.  And despite the "size difference" since
all we have is a photograph to ID this bird the best shot is a Rock Wren.  Plus
sometimes in the field bird size, can be guaged and missed, unless there is
something to properly use to size the bird, or maybe in this case these were
just large Rock Wrens. It is hard to tell?  Now Brian also stated that there
were 3 of these birds together, young Rock Wren's often times travel together
after leaving the nest, and will stay in the general area of where they were
fledged.  I have never heard of Thrashers (an extremely territorial bird) being
seen moving and foraging together.

So there is my 2 cents on the situation and this bird.

Good Birding.

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT or Beloit, WI
http://www.timaverybirding.com