Pelican sizes

I am a bit surprised that no one who has reported on the Utah Lake Pelicans (white or brown) has mentioned size. The Brown Pelican is quite a bit smaller than the White Pelican (no matter how stained the plumage.) I understand that a single bird by itself can not be accurately assigned a size, but birds together should be obvious. The National Geographic Field Guide gives 48" for the length of a Brown Pelican and 62" for a White.

Best wishes for finding a Brown Pelican (and we've been looking over here in SW Colorado, too)
Mona Hill
Lewis, Montezuma County, CO