Ptarmigan => Blue Grouse

I stand corrected on the Ptarmigan, which could only have been a Blue Grouse.

Well, not being quite the font of knowledge that others are, I guess what I saw at Cedar Breaks, yes the one and only in Southern Utah, could only have been a Blue Grouse, not a Ptarmigan. Like I said, I did not get a good view, but the sound of the birds wings was that of a large bird like a Grouse or Ptarmigan. The bird was most assuredly perched high up in a group of Aspen and Pine trees. It did not fly off when I walked under it, but it flew from branch to branch to better hide itself, I presume So, deferring to those more knowledgeable, it must have been a Blue Grouse. Thanks to those who e-mailed me.

While I'm at it, I am amazed at how many birds some of you can identify in a seemingly short time. And some of the birds identified are so slightly different, I just wonder how you do it. I don't doubt that your identifications are correct, it is just a wonder how you do it. Now, I'm sure that practice and training play a role.

Happy Birding!

Matthew.