BIRDING ETHICS

Dear Fellow Birders:

Dennis Shirley has just posted a notice concerning the upcoming UOS-sponsored field trip to search for White-tailed Ptarmigan on Sat. Aug. 7 around Leidy Peak in the Uintas.

Dennis is one of the finest birders in Utah and I have great respect for his expertise.  But in this case I am concerned about the method that he plans to use to help locate the birds, namely tracking them with 2 Springer Spaniel hunting dogs.  It is not stated whether these dogs will be leashed.  Regardless, I cannot help but think that the passive and reclusive Ptarmigan will perceive these dogs as highly threatening predators and be terrified.

Tracking with dogs is a technique used by hunters wishing to kill birds for sport.  It may also be employed by professional biologists conducting wildlife research.

However, we amateur birders have a different philosophical approach in that we strive to observe birds with minimum disturbance and then leave them in peace to live their natural lives.

I fully recognize that hunters provide the greatest part of funding for conservation and have no wish to criticize their sport. But I do not think that birders can justify using their methods to locate birds.

I am sure others of you may have different viewponts on this controversial issue and I encourage you to express them on BIRDTALK.  Before doing so, you may wish to review the American Birding Association's PRINCIPLES OF BIRDING ETHICS (http://www.americanbirding.org/abaethics.htm) and the regulations concerning pets in our national parks and wildlife refuges (see, e.g. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/rules/petregs.htm).

Sincerely,
Jim McIntyre