Crossbills

This is to corroborate Kristen's observation the other day.  At 9:30 a.m., Monday, I observed the female WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, along with a flock of 10 Red Crossbills in the same area that she described. As you drive into the Silver Lake Visitor Center in Brighton (top of Big Cottonwood Canyon), to the right of the parking lot is a paved road that runs down to some private residences.  The birds were about 150 feet down this road, with tall spruce and fir trees on both sides.  I played my CD off and on for a few minutes, seeing several Red Crossbills flying back and forth, then this slightly larger one with the 2 prominent wing patches flew out with them.  In the same location were Hairy Woodpecker, Pine Siskins, Wood Pewee, Y-R Warbler, White-crowned Sparrows.

Thanks to Kristen I now have a new Salt Lake County as well as a new Utah bird.

--Steve Carr